|Dual-vendor toolkit aims to simplify Win-to-Lin migration
Sep. 22, 2005
Versora and Win4Lin have collaborated on a $99 toolkit aimed at easing the task of migrating desktop PC users from Windows to Linux. The Complete Linux Desktop Migration and Virtualization Toolkit bundles Versora's Progression Desktop -- which automates the migration of data, application, and system settings from Windows desktops to Linux -- along with Win4Lin Pro, which runs Windows 2000/XP and its applications on top of Linux.
"A bundled migration and virtualization toolkit makes sense for individuals and organizations who want to move off Windows to Linux but have trepidations about the new environment," Versora CEO Mike Sheffey said. "You can now migrate all desktop data and settings from Windows to Linux while using the same Windows applications you rely on that aren't supported by Linux."
Versora listed the following as key features of the software package:
Progression Desktop is said to support the following platforms:
- Reduces costs and time associated with manual desktop migration
- Can automate from a command line to integrate with third-party system management tools
- Allows users to transfer files and settings from Windows desktops to Linux desktops in an automated fashion
- Desktop preferences and data are quickly moved across operating systems and applications to ensure a seamless transition to Linux
- Moves critical data, application settings, network shares, desktop settings, directory structures and more in a predictable and repeatable fashion
- Migrates Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express to Novell Evolution and KMail, Microsoft Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox and Konqueror, and Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org
The toolkit stemmed from customer feedback that expressed a desire for a seamless transition from Windows to Linux which was perceived to be lacking, according to the companies. Survey results indicated that the most important components of a seamless transition included the ability to run Windows applications on Linux and the need to automate the migration of data, application and systems settings from the original Windows machine.
- Microsoft Windows versions:
- Windows 98
- Windows NT
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Linux distributions:
- Fedora Core 3 & 4
- Linspire 5
- Novell Linux Desktop 9
- Red Hat Desktop 4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4
- SimplyMEPIS 3.3.1
- SUSE Professional 9.3
The Complete Linux Desktop Migration and Virtualization Toolkit is available now for download at the Versora and Win4Lin websites for $99 per license.
(Click here for further information)