|VectorLinux releases LiveCD edition
Feb. 02, 2006
[Updated Feb. 5th] -- The VectorLinux project team last week released a new LiveCD edition of SOHO-5.1, the latest version of its Slackware-based Linux distro. The project's website describes VectorLinux as a small (699 MB), fast distribution for Intel-, AMD-, and x86-based systems.
Key features of SOHO-5.1, as listed by the project team, include:
Base OS features:
- Kernel version 2.6.12 available in sata, ide and scsi configurations
- Xorg-6.8.2 is the default X window system
- New graphical/text package management with Gslapt and slapt-get
- New usb-mount for automounting usb devices like pendrives
- Easy on your system resources, should run fine with a minimum of 32mb of ram
- Only reguires 950 megs of disk space for full install (but you should have more available for additional programs and swap space)
- Laptop support including pcmcia and apm
- Usb support with hotplugging
- Most available Linux hardware drivers are included
- XFCE4.2, Fluxbox, and ICEwm window managers with antialias font support. More available on the deluxe CD.
- Fully customized KDE-3.4.1 available on the deluxe CD version
- Freerock Gnome 2.10.2 is included with deluxe version as a second CD
- Internet ready with Firefox, Dillo, Gaim, Xchat and more. Mplayer, flash, acrobat reader and java all available on the deluxe CD
- Abiword a stand alone full featured word processor that imports exports MS word style documents. OpenOffice available on the deluxe CD
- Xview and GQview for viewing, manipulating and editing graphics files
- The Gimp a very sophisticated image creation program available on the deluxe CD
- XMMS to play most music formats including CD's
- A full compliment of GUI programs to handle email, file management, text editing, sound manipulation, file compression, desktop themes and more.
"We started with SOHO 5.1, added all the recent bugfix patches, and rolled it into a live CD," a project spokesman said. "We have produced a bloat-free, easy to install, configure and maintain Slackware-based system that is second to none -- including automatic hardware configuration, unique administration tools and easy package management via the Gslapt/slapt-get system."
- Full development suite with most common libraries, compilers and related tools
- Gcc updated to version 3.3.4.
- PPP setup wizard for easy connection to the net via your modem. Both pppsetup and wvdial available. Update gkdial is now available also
- VI style text editors, mutt for email, lynx text web browsing, Midnight Commander file manager, ncftp, telnet, ping, finger and all the basic networking applications and daemons.
- Vim, apache, mysql, Emacs, samba, screen all available on the deluxe CD version
- Added security with a built in gshield firewall, port sentry, openssl and openssh.
- Enhanced USB support with hotplugging
- The default file manager (midnight commander) will install uninstall all software packages including rpms, slps, debs, and tgz.
You can check out some screenshots here.
Download your own copy of the VectorLinux SOHO-5.1 .iso here.
The LiveCD package retails for $27 and is available here.
(Click here for further information)